The Estate now consisted of Upton House and 930 acres of land including Upton Farm
and several tenancies.
The estate agent’s details referred to “three kitchen gardens… stocked with fruit
trees and exceptionally productive” and to hot houses, a vinery, fruit rooms and
William arrived with his wife Frances and their three children from Morants Court,
Chevening, in Kent.
The Llewellin family employed a large staff including up to six gardeners. Family
photos from this period give an impression of the walled garden which included an
ornamental fountain as well as areas for growing fruit and vegetables.
The family were Church of England, and their first change to the house was to convert
the private Roman Catholic Chapel into a Dining Room, and install a huge fire surround
with inlaid mirror to reflect light into a room without windows, just an overhead
cupola. The fireback is a Welsh Tudor back with Dragon and Unicorn.
The family soon settled into the local scene, and associated themselves with St.
Michaels at Hamworthy.
Frances sister, Mrs Clara Matthews, nee Wigan, came to see her and invited her for
a ride in her new car. There was an accident near Merley Gates resulting in Frances
death on the 27th May 1907, leaving William sole parent to William Wigan aged 17,
John Jestyn aged 14, and Margaret Mary aged 10.
A year later, William remarried his first wife’s second cousin, a widow with 5 daughters,
Mrs Ada Gaskell.
William Wigan enjoyed a distinguished career in the Prison Service and pioneered
the first Open Borstal at Loudham Grange, Nottingham.
His brother John Jestyn, had a Parliamentary career from 1929 to 1945 rising to Cabinet
level. He became Minister of Food in 1943, overseeing the wartime campaign to “dig
for victory”He was made Baron Llewellin of Upton, and sent to Rhodesia and Nyasaland
as first Governor General in 1953. He died in office on 24th January 1957.
Their sister, Margaret Mary served as a JP and Poole Councillor from 1937 to 1954.
She became the first female Sheriff of Poole, an office created on the 23rd June
1568, and the first female Mayor and Admiral of Poole in 1951, and again in 1953.
On leaving the Council, she assisted her brother, Lord Llewellin, until his death.
William gave the House and 55 acres by Deed of Gift to the Borough of Poole in 1957,
and brother and sister relocated to White Lovington at Bere Regis. William died 16th
November 1961, and Mary died 11th March 1983.