In 1859 it was let to James Dearden, Member of Parliament for Rochdale.
By 1871, the Census shows that the Waters family was in residence, with the insight
that this gives to the makeup of the household. Head of the house was Robert Edmund
Chester Waters, aged 42, a Barrister, not practicing, and who had been born in London.
His wife, Emily, was aged 41 and was born in Oxford. They had a daughter, Catherine,
aged 18 , born in London.
They were joined by Mary Lovey, a visiting Governess from Dublin, and resident in
the house were 5 servants:
the Butler, John Read, married, aged 43 born in South Molton, Devon,
the Cook, Jessie Ganson, married, aged 56 born in the Shetland Isles,
a Nurse, Sarah Jane Bishop, widow, aged 48 born in Shirehampton, Somerset,
a Nurse, Jane King, married, aged 30, from Andover, Hants,
a Housemaid, Elizabeth Young, unmarried, aged 21, from Poole.
A Robert Goff took on a short term tenancy in 1883.
John and Caroline Bengough from Ridge, in Gloucestershire arrived in 1885 for their
health. They came with their ten children suffering from consumption (known today
as TB) and unhappily between 1887 and 1899 Caroline and several children died and
were buried at St Michaels, Hamworthy.
The one bright note during this time was the wedding on 5th April 1894 of daughter
Cecil, who, aged 28, married the Rev Thomas Henry Philpott, aged 54, the Rector of
Stockleigh Pomeroy, Devon.
Following the death of Sir Edward Tichborne, and during the period of the Tichborne
Trials, Upton House was let to a series of tenants, starting in 1853 with the arrival
of a niece of the family and her husband Lord Dormer.